The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that you bring your child to see an orthodontist at about age seven. The orthodontist will examine your child’s smile and bite to see whether they will need orthodontic treatment. Drs. Spillers and Gordon are proud to provide early prevention in Warner Robins or Macon, Georgia. Early prevention orthodontics includes treatments that correct the growth of the jaw and certain bite problems. Early prevention also includes making room for permanent teeth to come in properly.
Signs that your child may need early prevention orthodontics include:
- Early or late loss of the primary teeth (Baby teeth should begin coming our around age 5, and all permanent teeth have usually come in by age 13)
- Difficulty chewing and/or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Thumb sucking after age five
- Speech impediments
- Protruding teeth
- Teeth that don’t come together properly or at all
- Shifting of the jaw when your child opens or closes their mouth (crossbite)
- Crowded front teeth
Orthodontic treatment is easier to perform when the patient is still a child and their jawbones are still growing. We invite you to contact Spillers Orthodontics today to learn more and to schedule an appointment with our orthodontists.